|The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) was an infantry regiment of the British Army, the only Rifle Regiment amongst the Scottish regiments of infantry. It was formed in 1881 under the Cardwell Reforms by the amalgamation of two other regiments: the 26th Cameronian Regiment (1689) and the 90th Perthshire Light Infantry (1794).|
|The regiment saw service during the Second Boer War in South Africa, and raised 27 battalions during the First World War. The 1st Battalion saw action in Burma during the Second World War, while the 2nd Battalion was in Europe. In 1948, along with every other regiment of line infantry, the Cameronians was reduced to a single battalion.|
Under the reforms of the army during the 1960s, which saw several regiments amalgamated, the Cameronians chose to disband rather than amalgamate with another Lowland Scottish regiment.
|The 1st Battalion, The Cameronians was disbanded in 1968, with its recruiting area taken over by the King’s Own Scottish Borderers; the Regimental Headquarters closed in 1987.
However, the name of the Cameronians continued through the Territorial Army, with two companies of the 52nd Lowland Volunteers badged as Cameronians. One company was disbanded in 1992, and the other was rebadged as the King’s Own Scottish Borderers in 1997.
|Source: The Regimental Trustees|