Colonel J N D Lucas - Obituary

Posted by webmaster | Uncategorized | Saturday 20 January 2018 11:43 am

Colonel J N D Lucas 28 April 1933 – 1 December 2017

Dudley Lucas was commissioned into The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) in 1954. He joined the 1st Battalion in Barnard Castle before its move to Buxtehude as part of the British Army of the Rhine. In 1957 the battalion moved to Bahrein where Lucas was the Assistant Signals Officer. Later that year he was a member of battalion headquarters when the Cameronians played a significant part in the operation in the Nizwa valley, south of the Jebel Akdhar massif in Oman, to suppress what became known as the Imam’s Rebellion. At the end of the year he was appointed Adjutant of the Regimental Depot at Winston Barracks, Lanark. He remained there for 18 months leaving shortly before the run-down of Winston Barracks as a regimental depot. After a tour as an instructor at Mons Officer Cadet School, Lucas was appointed Adjutant of the 1st Battalion in Minden in the late autumn of 1962 and saw the battalion through the final year of its BAOR tour.

In Spring 1964 the battalion was posted to Edinburgh and in May that year began a three-year spell of public duties. Lucas’s meticulous preparation for these duties, and the high standards he demanded, helped significantly in laying the foundations for the battalion’s tour in Edinburgh, which would earn it many plaudits. In September 1964 the battalion was asked to provide a guard of honour for the opening of the Forth Road Bridge by Her Majesty The Queen. At the time the battalion was also finding the Royal Guard at Balmoral which placed a strain on dealing with this additional commitment. Lucas rose to the occasion, commanding the guard of honour himself. A measure of the success of that guard of honour is that 50 years later, in September 2014, Lucas and a small group of officers and men who had taken part in it were presented to the Queen at a ceremony to commemorate the opening of the bridge. In the autumn of 1964 Lucas handed over as Adjutant to go to Staff College and then serve on the staff, initially as Brigade Major 161 Infantry Brigade. He never served with the 1st Battalion again due to the disbandment of the regiment in 1968.

Robin Buchanan-Dunlop  

On disbandment he was one of a number of officers who transferred to the Royal Scots joining the 1st Battalion in Osnabruck where he took command of Support Company and with them an operational tour in Belfast. His subsequent posts included serving as DAA and QMG in 11 Armoured Brigade followed by a tour at the National Defence College, then second in command of the 1st Battalion, command of the Lowland Brigade Depot, followed by nine years in the MOD in London during which time he was promoted to Colonel.

Throughout his service Dudley was recognised for his clarity of thought and attention to detail and is remembered by his many friends for his loyalty and generosity. He died at home on 1st December and is survived by his wife Stephanie their children and grandchildren

Christopher Delacombe

No Comments

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.